Perennial Hot Cereal: What do you think?

What do you think of the hot cereal? Let us know in this forum post! Should we make any changes this month to it?

I enjoyed some this morning with yogurt, sainfoin honey, granola, and peanuts. I cooked 1/2 cup for about 7 minutes in 1 cup of water. It was great! I don’t think I always want Buckwheat, but I really like it.

I’ve heard from one member that they would like more oats, and more of a creamy oatmeal texture. They don’t like a chewy, whole grain cereal as much. We’d like to explore a flaking machine at some point, which would enable a Kernza oatmeal that would have much less structure after cooking.

I loved it! Topped with dried cherries and pecans and a little brown sugar. It also reheats well if you have some left over.

2 Likes

Cherries! Great idea :heart_eyes:

I really like it – great texture, and lovely with brown sugar, golden raisins, and a splash of whole milk. I do detect just a tiny bit of bitter aftertaste, softened by the sugar and milk. Could this be the buckwheat?

1 Like

This morning I made it with 1/2 water, 1/2 milk this morning, a pinch of salt and a splash of maple syrup as it was simmering. It was deliciously creamy!

1 Like

Delicious way to start the day. I cooked it with half milk half water as well, lemon zest, cinnamon, an apple and a little honey. So good!

1 Like

It was great - I liked the combination of grains. To get a creamier texture I just started with cold water. I made a full cup just for me, so will use the leftovers as a base for a multi-grain bread!

1 Like

It was delicious, though I agree a creamy texture would be a nice thing to try, so maybe add some rolled oats. Also agree with the other idea here to add a bit of dried fruit.

1 Like

I agree Mary! I cook the perennial pantry hot cereal half and half with old-fashioned oats. Since the perennial pantry cereal cooks 15 minutes, I start 1/2 cup of that in the 2 cups boiling water first, simmer for 5 minutes, then add 1/2 cup oats for 10 minutes. Perfect for my taste.