Perennial Hot Cereal: What do you think?

What do you think of the hot cereal? Let us know in this forum post! Should we make any changes this month to it?

I enjoyed some this morning with yogurt, sainfoin honey, granola, and peanuts. I cooked 1/2 cup for about 7 minutes in 1 cup of water. It was great! I don’t think I always want Buckwheat, but I really like it.

I’ve heard from one member that they would like more oats, and more of a creamy oatmeal texture. They don’t like a chewy, whole grain cereal as much. We’d like to explore a flaking machine at some point, which would enable a Kernza oatmeal that would have much less structure after cooking.

I loved it! Topped with dried cherries and pecans and a little brown sugar. It also reheats well if you have some left over.

2 Likes

Cherries! Great idea :heart_eyes:

I really like it – great texture, and lovely with brown sugar, golden raisins, and a splash of whole milk. I do detect just a tiny bit of bitter aftertaste, softened by the sugar and milk. Could this be the buckwheat?

1 Like

This morning I made it with 1/2 water, 1/2 milk this morning, a pinch of salt and a splash of maple syrup as it was simmering. It was deliciously creamy!

1 Like

Delicious way to start the day. I cooked it with half milk half water as well, lemon zest, cinnamon, an apple and a little honey. So good!

1 Like

It was great - I liked the combination of grains. To get a creamier texture I just started with cold water. I made a full cup just for me, so will use the leftovers as a base for a multi-grain bread!

1 Like

It was delicious, though I agree a creamy texture would be a nice thing to try, so maybe add some rolled oats. Also agree with the other idea here to add a bit of dried fruit.

1 Like

I agree Mary! I cook the perennial pantry hot cereal half and half with old-fashioned oats. Since the perennial pantry cereal cooks 15 minutes, I start 1/2 cup of that in the 2 cups boiling water first, simmer for 5 minutes, then add 1/2 cup oats for 10 minutes. Perfect for my taste.

Thanks all, for your thoughts!

We’re considering a coarse grind on the hot cereal, instead of whole kernels, and similar to other multi grain hot cereals. We’ll test this week if it impacts creaminess or cook time. Any advocates for or against?

Yes, try it! If it helps it to cook faster then all the better

I found it too chewy cooked to package directions, so tried soaking for 5 minutes in the cold water first, then heating to boiling and cooking as directed. Much tastier, and enjoyed with a spoonful of brown sugar and milk.

I think it’s a good idea. Like another member, I soaked my cereal before cooking it to ensure that all the grains were uniformly cooked.

1 Like

Hot cereal is a great way to have kernza, I added toasted walnuts and cinnamon. The grain mix is good!

1 Like