Hazelnut Pancake & Waffle Mix: What do you think?

What do you think of the November Hazelnut Pancake Mix? Let us know in this forum post! Should we make any changes to it?

We’re interested in having this in a regular rotation in boxes. Do you want more hazelnut flavor? Less? More mix? Are we sending pancake mixes too often?

We’d like to make a few improvements: Add waffle ratios to the recipe and increase the volume of the bag to account for the density of the mix and make sure it makes an equal number of cups of mix.

The pancakes were good, but I’m also happy to make my own with your flour (there was a good recipe printed on the bag). I’d just as soon keep the number of different bags and boxes in the pantry to a minimum.

2 Likes

We just had our hazel nut pancakes this morning and thought they were GREAT as is - easy to make and SO savory - all we “dressed” them with was some butter. Delicious!

Since we’re mostly cooking for just the two of us, having bagged mixes makes it much simpler to cook up a meal. For storage of all these bags, I’ve got a designated Perennial Pantry plastic bin.

1 Like

A follow-up question: could we use your pancake mixes to make drop biscuits? I’ve been thinking about leaving out the egg and cutting soft butter into the mix, then adding milk until the dough is the right consistency. Then let it rest a bit to hydrate before baking. I’ve been baking for years with whole grain baking mixes (most recently, Hodgson Mills, but years ago I made up my own mix from scratch and kept the mix in the fridge until needed). Handy and could be used for muffins, coffee cakes, biscuits, and toppings for baked fruit. (Mmmm - cinnamon apple nut crumble.)

2 Likes

Delicious! They were sweet and nutty without anything else on them. Of course butter and syrup did not disappoint.

2 Likes

Great idea, Suzie! I have not personally attempted this with our mix, but I think it would turn out quite well. If you give it a try, I’d love to hear how it went! You could also share the recipe on our community recipe page.

Thanks for the feedback @ssnaragon! If we were to go this path, would you want hazelnut meal from us? Or to skip different versions of our pancakes, and just get Kernza flour from us?

Great pancakes Christopher. I like the addition of hazelnut flour. We had out-of-town friends staying with us last night so I made Kernza pancakes for breakfast. I think I converted them so look for new share members from Colorado! Can’t wait for you to get more of this mix into your inventory as I’ll definitely buy more.

1 Like

I love the new hazelnut flavor of pancake/waffle mix. I prefer waffles and made them per bag instructions before I saw the increased butter recommendation and they were delicious. The hazelnut flavor was just right. I’d absolutely like to see this stay in the rotation and would like to see it added to the products available for individual purchase on the website (so I can tell friends to order it!).

2 Likes

We loved the pancake mix! I make 100% whole wheat waffles and pancakes frequently and we loved the taste and texture of the mix both as pancakes and waffles. Pancakes especially good with blueberries mixed in!

1 Like