Compostable bags

I received my first half-share, and I’m jazzed about it! I wanted to respond to the call for feedback on compostable bags. I share the sentiment about industrial corn and faraway labels being negatives re: the commercially produced compostable bag. But I need to mention it’s totally possible to compost paper bags without plastic lining! These will be great additions to my compost after I remove the stickers and tin ties. It’s even fine to compost the white as well as the unbleached paper. So no worries on retiring the compostable bag, your other bags are compostable and my garden will appreciate the carbon :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, @nqpenelope! Glad to hear you’re jazzed about your share :grin:

Good to hear about your feelings about industrial corn, and good point about composting paper! Do you know what would make our recyclable paper labels compostable? It’s made from these Avery stickers. The ink isn’t compostable, and I assume the adhesive isn’t as well, but it is recyclable. Here’s the material info they share:

1 Like

That’s such a good question. I’m kind of radical about what I put in my compost (barring heavy metals), because I have a feeling that the microbes are more active in my compost than they are in the county landfill. So maybe I will try composting the labels and report back! I think the adhesive would be made of rubber-based or plastic-based materials, and the ink would be made of oils, either plant-based or petroleum-based. These can be broken down, but it might take a little more time if they’re made of plastic or petroleum. I wish there were more transparency about materials in consumable goods so that consumers can better participate in waste diversion. I’ll let you know what I figure out in my home experiments.

P.S. The kernza products have been incredibly delicious! We made vegan pancakes and cookies this weekend with the pancake mix and flour :smiley:

1 Like

Absolutely! Supply chains have such big impacts on the world, and are usually quite hard to trace.

1 Like